Do you want to make a difference to health and social care services in Mole Valley, and ensure that residents have a say in how the care they receive is delivered?
Who are Healthwatch Surrey? •
We are statutory organisation that listens to what local people say about the health and social care services they access.
• We take their views and concerns to decision makers, to influence and improve how local services are run.
• We also offer information and advice through our Helpdesk, and our free, independent NHS complaints and advocacy service.
How do we make a difference?
• We work closely with the CQC, Surrey County Council, Clinical Commissioners and NHS service providers to provide feedback from patients, escalate concerns and work to improve services based on the patient experiences our staff and volunteers have collected.
• We engage with less well-served communities, especially those at risk of health inequalities to ensure everyone has a say in the care they receive.
How can I help?
An exciting opportunity has arisen to help us develop a volunteer team to support our work in the Mole Valley and Epsom and Ewell areas.
You will be instrumental in helping to develop our ‘Surrey Downs’ volunteer group, who will reach out to communities in the area to hear their recent experiences of health and social care and work with local NHS and social care providers to improve services.
What will I do as a Community Influencer in the Surrey Downs volunteer group?
• Work with our team and the group Chair to agree the priorities and a workplan for the group. This will involve identifying communities at risk of health inequalities in your area and the voluntary organisations that support them.
• Familiarise yourself with the changes happening in health and social care in Mole Valley and advocate for patient involvement at Stakeholder Reference Group meetings.
• Build relationships with our partners at Epsom and St Helier Hospital Trust, Surrey Downs Integrated Care Partnership, and with partners in the voluntary and faith sector so we can work together to improve local services.
• Sharing the feedback collected from local people at meetings with our partners in the NHS.
• Support us to read papers and reports so we can establish the key questions we should be asking on behalf of local people at scrutiny boards and meetings.
What can you offer me in return?
We can offer you a well-supported, flexible volunteer role that allows you to utilise your skills and experience to help improve health and care services in your local area. The local groups are a great way to meet new people and find out more about services in your community. If you live in the Mole Valley area and can spare 10 -20 hours a month to volunteer with us, then we would love to hear from you. We will provide lots of support as you settle into the role, full administrative support, and peer support from the other Community Influencers across the county.
Where will I be volunteering?
Volunteering with us looks a little different right now. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we have been using virtual ways of reaching out to Surrey residents and connecting with our partners in health and social care and the voluntary sector. In the future, once it is safe to resume our face-to-face community engagement work, our volunteers may also return to meeting face to face and speaking to Surrey residents in hospitals, care homes, surgeries and other community settings in their local area to hear their views.
Will you pay my expenses?
We reimburse volunteers for travel expenses.
What training will I need?
Full training and support will be provided, including training in the legal framework that underpins NHS consultation and engagement.
• An interest in health and social care
• A desire to make a difference
• Awareness of current issues in health and social care (or is willing to become aware)
• Understanding the value of community engagement
• Organisation and flexibility.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Good ICT skills.
• Ability to work well as part of a team.
Volunteering with us is flexible. You choose the days you would like to volunteer. Our Community Influencers typically give 10 – 20 hours of their time each month.
This opportunity has no specific location.
Woking and Sam Beare Hospices
Mustard Seed Autism Trust
Princess Alice Hospice
Crossroads Care Surrey
Submit a quick enquiry to express your interest in this opportunity.