Healthwatch Surrey is supporting the NHS and social care by helping them to understand what is working well and not so well for local people during the Covid-19 pandemic.
• Healthwatch Surrey is a statutory organisation that listens to what local people have to say about the health and social care services they access.
• We take their views and concerns to decision makers, to influence and improve how local services are run.
• We keep an eye on changes to services and make sure that local people are consulted in decision making and in the design of local health and social care services.
What will I do as a Community Listener?
• Our Community Listeners support us with gathering the views of local people on NHS and social care services.
• They listen to what local people have to say about the health and care services they use, and accurately record their personal experiences, good and bad, and identify key themes.
• They also provide information about local health and care services available in the area, and how to access them.
Where will I be volunteering?
Volunteering with us looks a little different right now. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we have been exploring virtual ways of reaching out to Surrey residents (for example our staff and volunteers have attended virtual carers coffee mornings, and mental health network meetings to speak to service users using Zoom). In the future, once it is safe to resume our face to face community engagement work, our Community Listeners may also return to speaking to Surrey residents in hospitals, care homes, surgeries and other community settings in their local area to hear their views.
This role will suit someone who:
• Is interested in health and social care
• Has a caring attitude • Enjoys talking to people
• Is a good listener • Is confident and outgoing
• Can accurately record information
• Enjoys working as part of a team
• Is organised and reliable
What time commitment will I be expected to make? Our volunteers typically give 2 to 3 mornings or afternoons a month, however you can give more or less of your time if you wish - volunteering with us is flexible, and you pick which activities you wish to support us with.
Home-Start Runnymede & Woking
The People's Theatre Company
St John's Church - The Kitchen
Transport and More - Good Neighbours Scheme
Mid Surrey Community Fridges
Submit a quick enquiry to express your interest in this opportunity.