Compassionate Neighbours is free, community-led support for people nearing the end of life through age or illness, or who are lonely or socially isolated.
People living with serious, long-term or terminal illness often struggle with loneliness and could do with extra support. Compassionate Neighbours can really make a difference.
They are a network of trained volunteers who are willing to offer their time, companionship and support to people living in their community.
• Flexible around your schedule but ideally 1-2 hours a week
• You are encouraged to attend 4 Compassionate Neighbour development meetings per year
Tasks and activities
• Offer companionship, emotional support and a listening ear
• Provide practical support such as making a cup of tea or changing a light bulb
• Help people stay connected to their friends, family and the community Guide and assist people to access services that are likely to be of help to them.
• Provide a break for a carer
What will you gain from volunteering in this role?
• Make a difference to people in your local community
• Meet new people and make new friends
• Learn new skills
• Be part of a wide network of Compassionate Neighbours
• Join a growing social movement in your local community, empowering people to care for themselves and to remain independent for as long as possible.
Skills and personal qualities
• Have a genuine interest in other people and a desire to help
• To be a good listener and have good communication skills
• Have a non-judgmental attitude and a sensitive, empathic manner
• To be organised, reliable and honest
• Respect confidentiality at all times
This volunteering role will be based in your local community and hours will be flexible
Submit a quick enquiry to express your interest in this opportunity.